The Church of God in Rainier had its origin around the turn of the Twentieth Century. It was part of a movement that had begun in 1880 by Daniel S. Warner. Warner had grown dissatisfied with the status quo of the denominations he was in, primarily because of their reliance on traditions as opposed to reliance on the Bible. The divisions that were so prevalent in that day caused him to seek a more biblically pure movement that would allow anyone to take part, regardless of affiliation. The only prerequisite was for people to know and desire to live their lives for Jesus.
This movement quickly spread across the country and in the late 1890's came to the Northwest. The use of evangelistic companies holding meetings to plant new churches continued into the first decade of the twentieth century. Brother John Green held meetings in the Northeastern corner of Oregon in the Wallowa Mountains. There was little success in terms of launching a church - or so he thought. However there was a man who responded in the meetings who told Green he had a sister who would be interested in The Gospel Trumpet (an early publication of the Church of God). Green took her address and in the fall of 1902 he traveled to Rainier, Oregon to meet Nellie Brant. She responded to his witness and accepted the Lord. She went on to become the first pastor of the Rainier church. Sunday school began in 1905 in Mrs. Brant's kitchen. Her husband, Adolph, had also been converted and gladly assisted his wife in the ministry. A strong congregation had developed in Portland, presently known as the Holiday Park Church of God. This Portland church provided loan funds for the purchase of the first building lot utilized by the Rainier congregation.
In the early 1960's the church expanded its facilities. In the 80's it expanded its worship meeting times and staff. In the first part of the twenty-first century, after fluctuations in size, the congregation included a satellite service which was held in the Rainier Senior Center.
The church continues with a strong tradition of classes, both Sunday morning and throughout the week, for the purpose of Christ centered learning, fellowship and growth. We strive to be the body of Christ touching our world for their welfare and His glory!